Saturday, August 2, 2014

Big Time Blog Challenge Day 3

Now that I've aired my misgivings about this whole blogging thing, I can try out the prompt from yesterday! Oh wait! One more thing! I kind of feel like this whole blogging thing...and I guess the twitter thing too...is a bit braggy. 
Who do you know who likes a loud AND braggy person? They're the worst! 

So I like to think of myself as humble to counteract being so visible. Which now by saying it means I'm not. But I guess showing off what my students are up to is better and more helpful than...look at these awesome muffins I made. But it's still something I'm conscious of. Ok. That's it! I'm ready!!! 

How long and in what capacities have you been in education?

Hmmm... well... I started grading my Mom's papers when I was in 2nd grade. She taught 1st. I graduated from Illinois Wesleyan University in 2008 with a Major in Elementary Education a Minor in English, some middle school endorsements, and student teaching experience in 3rd grade. I really had caught the travel bug after working at a summer camp that had a lots of international counselors teaching swim lessons with THIS view for many summers so I wanted to try and teach abroad.
Turns out that to teach in an English speaking country, you need 5 years of experience. So instead, I went to South Korea to teach English. It was a free plane ticket so I didn't ask too many questions. I probably should have done more research because the program I went with was geared toward Korean American/British/Australians who spoke Korean and we were placed in rural areas where no one spoke English. In the end I had an awesome time and learned I could really do ANYTHING.



When I got back, for the next 2ish Years  I wore a lot of hats trying to land my first full-time teaching job. In between everything I worked as a Sub in multiple districts including a SPED CO-OP.  I loved trying out and gaining a bunch of experience.

I started in Kindergarten. First as a 1:1 aide then, as I mentioned, giving Math and Reading Interventions, then working with students with Autism.  I would have never necessarily chosen the path I took, but I wouldn't take a second of it back. It was trying and difficult and out of my comfort zone. I had to learn how to have kids not cry when I talked in my normal voice. "Honey, Sweety, and Baby" became a part of my vocabulary. I learned how students with Autism operated. It made me understand the human condition that much more. I know that sounds deep, but I swear the world became clearer to me after seeing it through an Autism lens. I think every teacher should have work experience with students with Autism.

Then, after getting my Master's in Reading and a LBS1 certificate during this time, I landed my first teaching job 2 years ago. In MIDDLE SCHOOL! I had always wanted to teach Middle School. I LOVED middle school. I could be a social as I wanted. My 6th grade math teacher put it aptly, "Kerry, you'd talk to the Ants on the ground if they'd talk back!" I also had to schedule my lunch detentions because I was tardy from talking in the hallways during passing periods.

I was lucky enough to be chosen to work in a 1:1 technology district that is truly doing some amazing work with an under served demographic. This is where I met my mentor, Michelle! She taught 8th grade Reading and I taught 7th. She taught me so much, maybe everything! And, cough, I taught her how to be the best mentor!  

I taught 7th grade Reading For 1 year, which I loved, and then was asked to move to 6th grade Special Education. I have LOVED the move even more. I worked as a co-teacher allowing my students to access the curriculum right along side their peers, which is a great feeling. Being able to combine all my experiences to help students with varying needs is just AWESOME! Working in a district pushing the envelope nudged me again to get out of my comfort zone and here I am, blogging! For right now, I'm just enjoying the ride and trying to learn as much as possible.
I'm not sure how much phone or internet access I'll have after today so I might be out until Saturday! Happy 4th!

8 comments :

  1. Your experience is amazing! My daughter is going to college to be a teacher right now! She really wants to student teach or teach abroad. I could never be so brave ;)
    ☺Jody

    Camp Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She should! I looked into student teaching in Australia but Wesleyan was too small and didn't have the setup to do it and still graduate in 4 years. Travel anyway she can!

      Delete
  2. It's funny that you mention the braggy thing. I also feel like by writing a blog post, and expecting people to read it, that it does make you braggy. So, I counteracted that by thinking that no one but myself actually reads it. Perhaps a few D100 people. I have never really searched for an audience. But, in this challenge, I am now linking to network and hash tagging it on Twitter. After today's post, when I realized that, I almost went back and deleted it. It was ok for people who knew me to stumble across it, but outside of D100? I am not sure if I want my voice to be that visible. If I don't get used to it, it might be the thing that stops me in this Challenge. Oh boy.

    It sounds like you have had a great beginning to what is going to be a great career!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also tried to fool myself that no one saw what I wrote, but I've been trying embrace it! You have a great voice and share things that are insightful and helpful! You have knowledge and I'm pretty happy I can get it for free!! ;) I don't have kids so I can't exactly put myself in your shoes, but there is nothing in that post that Id be wary of sharing with a wide audience! Don't stop! The professional/ personal line is a hard one! Keep writing, walking the line, reflecting and revising!!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing story! I totally agree about working with children with Autism. I thinking working with children with any real disability opens your eyes as a teacher, and individual, to life outside of yourself. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah you're kinda right about the braggy thing, but I think all of us have things to offer - knowledge, stories, and hey, it's okay to be proud of our experiences and share them around! You all better keep with it - the world wants to hear your voice! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had to air all my doubts to be able to fully embrace the challenge!!! I'm all in for #BTBC14!!!!! 😀

      Delete